Skip to main content

Posted 13 Jan 2023

Ethnicity Pay Gap Day Review

The #EthnicityPayGap Campaign was established in 2018, with the main aim of spreading awareness of the issues relating to the Ethnicity Pay Gap.

The aim is to show the difference in the average pay of staff members from ethnic minority backgrounds, in comparison to other staff members. Generally, those from ethnic minority backgrounds are earning less in the workplace and hold fewer senior positions.

Though arguments have been made to make it law, ethnicity pay gap reporting remains voluntary.

For the past three years, on Ethnicity Pay Gap day, we have reviewed and reported on the progress we have made as an organisation, and we are pleased to be able to share that we have continued to make improvements this year and will continue to hold ourselves accountable moving forward.

Group of diverse Genius Within staff members sat around a table at a meeting

At Genius Within, inclusion in all forms is incredibly important to us. Our CEO Jacqui Wallis commented on our 2023 Ethnicity Pay Gap review and report, “We remain committed to fair pay for all and will continue to monitor and evaluate our pay structures to ensure that we remain alert to any unconscious bias within our employee community.”

Across the company, there is ethnic minority representation at all levels, including:

  • Directors
  • Department leaders
  • Team leaders
  • Employees

40% of all staff members identify as being ethnic minorities, with the other 60% being white.

As in previous years, we have measured salaries at five different levels across all employees. This is then split from the most Senior group (directors) through to the rest of our employees. All salaries are banded so there will always be variation for individuals within a band. After this year’s review, our banding is showing an even spread of remuneration with no unfair pay gap.

Across three groups, our minority ethnic employees are paid more than their white counterparts. In two groups, the salary averages are close, within 8%. We will continue to work towards further increase from within.

There has been a slight decline in numbers within the department heads. After identifying this issue, our aim is to introduce new individuals to the organisation at Team Leader level, from a diverse group of candidates, with the room to progress to department head status.

We are proud of the work we have done in this area in the last few years and would encourage other companies to consider getting involved with the campaign.